MINUTES OF THE LEAGUE FIXTURES MEETING OF NORTHUMBERLAND BADMINTON ASSOCIATION HELD AT BENFIELD CENTRE FOR SPORTING EXCELLENCE, NEWCASTLE, ON SUNDAY 9 SEPTEMBER 2012 AT 7.00 p.m.
The Chairman opened the meeting by welcoming all club representatives present. All clubs competing in the Northumberland Leagues were represented apart from LNER. The Chairman introduced the Match Secretary of a new club, ABC (Active Badminton Club) and welcomed him to the meeting and to NBA. Also present were the following members of Northumberland Badminton Association Management Committee: Mr R Pearson (Hon President),
Mr D Gray, (Hon Chairman), Mr S Abbott (Hon Vice Chairman), Mrs N Waterfield (Hon Secretary), Miss J Brown (Hon Treasurer), Mrs A Thompson (League Secretary), Mr S Porter, and Mr M Woodward. Mr P McLane was also present (refer to item New Tyneside Badminton Centre below).
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Mr I Ferguson (Hon Vice President), Mr R Taylor (Management Committee), Mr M Waterfield (Management Committee), and Mrs D Hogg (LNER).
EXTRA AGENDA ITEM – NEW TYNESIDE BADMINTON CENTRE
This item was deferred from the Northumberland Clubs’ EGM so that Durham clubs present could also learn about this new venture. The Chairman stressed that it was only now possible to talk about the new Centre, as the City Council had sworn everyone involved to secrecy. Mr Mike Woodward gave an overview of the new Tyneside Badminton Centre:
- A Community Interest Company (CIC) had been set up by 4 people passionate about badminton in Northumberland – Mike Woodward, Steve Abbott, Steve Porter, Peter McLane – all were introduced.
- The CIC is a non-profit-making company.
- The vision is to provide a new home for badminton.
- The Centre will be at a currently under-utilised facility, Slatyford Youth Centre in the west of Newcastle.
- The CIC has been working with Newcastle City Council to identify this suitable facility, which was only built in 2003.
- The existing sports hall has 3 courts and a sprung wooden floor. There are various ancillary rooms which could be used as a gym, meeting room, physio room etc. There is a café.
- The CIC would like to add an extension with 6 courts with a viewing gallery and facilities for disabled.
- A planning application has been submitted, hopefully the building will be operational by 2013.
- 90% of the costs have been covered through grants and private investment, but any additional funds from anyone would be most welcome.
- Email and website details here.
A query was raised as to what would happen about NBA’s involvement at Benfield. The Chairman responded that the Management Committee was still considering what would be best for NBA. Benfield costs were continually rising, and NBA had limited access to the courts especially at the weekend, which meant we were unable to stage many tournaments at Benfield. Tentative discussions only had been held with the school. If NBA did move out of Benfield (the Lease had still not been signed), we would want to see badminton continue there. No final decision had been made yet. Moving activities to the new Centre would be an opportunity for the County to move forward. However, the Management Committee needed to consider very carefully how moving to the new Tyneside Badminton Centre would help NBA before making a final decision.
The Chairman thanked Mr Woodward, and informed everyone present that if anyone wished to discuss the new Centre with members of the CIC, they could do so after the end of the meeting.
MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING
The Minutes of the previous League Fixtures Meeting, held on Sunday 11 September 2011, were approved by the club representatives present and duly signed by the Chairman as a true record of the proceedings.
SENIOR LEAGUES – 2012-13
Mrs Thompson gave a brief report on the Leagues for 2011-12. She mentioned the following:
- There had been fewer problems last season.
- Clubs to let Mrs Thompson or Andy McGill know if they have any new members.
- Clubs to ensure that the correct signatures and correct names are on Match Result Cards.
- A hard copy of the Results Card to be forwarded to Mrs Thompson either by post or scanned.
- Clubs to send to Mrs Thompson within the next 2 weeks a list of their matches.
CLUB/MATCH SECRETARY’S BOOKLET
One amendment to a post code for St Aidans JBC was noted.
The Chairman informed the meeting that the tournament calendar would soon be available on the NBA website. Information about the following Northumberland tournaments was given:
- Major national tournaments – Senior Silver (early October) and Senior Gold (early January).
- County Restricted – last weekend in September.
- County Open session on Sunday 23 September. County practices to be on Sundays instead of Wednesday evenings.
- Graded tournaments – there would be 10 or 11. NBA looking for more clubs willing to host a tournament – help would be provided and the club would keep half of the profit. First tournament to be hosted by Elmfield on 23 September. All grades of Singles would be held in one tournament on the same day – this would be more cost effective.
- A second social tournament to be run by Tyneside Sharks JBC on behalf of North Tyneside Badminton Partnership at The Parks LC on Sunday 7 October. The first tournament in July was extremely successful. No League players allowed.
- Masters (Veterans) Open tournament on 20/21 October at Stanley.
- U19 International Team Event and Individual Championships at The Parks LC from 2-4 November.
ANY OTHER BUSINESS
There being no further business, the Hon Chairman thanked those present for attending. He then wished everyone good luck for the coming season and duly closed the meeting, inviting clubs to make their fixtures.